A senior police official who was allegedly shot at by his deputy inside a police station in suburban Mumbai, has died.
Darshan Solanki, who hailed from Ahmedabad in Gujarat and was a first-year student of B Tech (Chemical) course at the IITB, allegedly died by suicide by jumping off the seventh floor of a hostel building located on the campus on February 12.
He was on Wednesday produced before a magistrate in suburban Andheri which remanded him in police custody till October 23 in the same mephedrone seizure case.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) K L Prasad had on Thursday told media persons that on the basis of the photographs clicked of the incident, at least four of the 14 arrested were among those who molested the women.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Whitefield, Shivakumar on Tuesday confirmed that Bengaluru-based techie Atul Subhash died by suicide in the early hours of December 9 following harassment from his wife and her family.
The police official, while addressing a press conference on Wednesday, said the Elgar Parishad had been funded by the Maoists.
A Mumbai lawyer and a Beed engineer joined arrested climate activist Disha Ravi in creating a protest toolkit backing the farmers' agitation with the aim of 'tarnishing the image of India' and collaborated with pro-Khalistani elements, Delhi Police officials said on Monday.
The objects were promotional balloons filled with gas, launched by the event management company to advertise its client.
In 2016 he was released on parole after which he was absconding, said police.
He is now left with his 16-year-old son, who also had a miraculous escape as had gone out to buy some medicine when the tragedy struck.
"We have arrested a total of 92 persons till now, including 73 from the MNS and 19 from the SP for indulging in violence, which started on Sunday afternoon," Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) K L Prasad told PTI.
Thirteen of those arrested are from a single group hailing from suburban Vile Parle and were picked up on the basis of information received from an individual, who identified them on the basis of the photographs published in various newspapers, police said.
A team led by Mumbai cyber unit's Deputy Commissioner of Police Rashmi Karandikar started a probe into the case and formed teams comprising personnel from the east, central and west region cyber police stations here to nab the culprits, the official said.
Delhi Police has begun an inquiry after a photograph showing controversial godwoman Radhe Maa sitting on the station house officer's chair went viral.
In a breakthrough into the worst-ever hooch tragedy in Mumbai that has so far claimed 102 lives and rendered over 40 people ill, police have tracked down and arrested one of the main suppliers of the killer brew in Delhi.
Police alleged that Mumbai lawyer Nikita Jacob and Pune engineer Shantanu were among the around 70 people who had attended the meeting through Zoom app, days before the Republic Day violence in the national capital that left over 500 police personnel injured and one protester dead.
'Param Bir's letter alleges that Waze was being used directly by the home minister.' 'I think an enquiry by a high court judge is the need of the hour.'
'Lalit Modi repeatedly kept requesting for Mumbai police's intervention against the underworld. I reiterated to Modi and his lawyer that it was imperative for Lalit Modi to return to Mumbai for the Mumbai police to initiate any inquiry. Thereafter, the meeting lasted barely for 15/20 minutes,' the police commissioner said.
CCTV footage shows that suspended police officer Sachin Waze and deceased businessman Mansukh Hiran had met on February 17, the day a Scorpio in Hiran's possession was 'stolen', an official of the Maharashtra ATS said on Friday.
Former Mumbai police commissioner Rakesh Maria has claimed his successor Ahmed Javed knew Sheena Bora murder case accused Indrani and Peter Mukerjea socially, and that Peter also knew the then joint commissioner of police (law and order) Deven Bharti on "first name terms". Maria, who investigated some high-profile cases like the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts and also headed the probe in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, made the revelation in his memoir Let Me Say It Now released on Monday.
K P Raghuvanshi removed as the chief of Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, said sources from Maharashtra's home department on Thursday.
'The officers are sitting on their chairs today because these men paid with their lives. The least they can do is to give them the honour they deserved,' says Vinita Kamte.
'Police officers should be selected on merit and not on the basis of who is close to the political party in power.'
In such big cases, approver makes the task easier to prove someone guilty in the court of law, says M N Singh.
Sultanpur, a village in Maharashtra with a population of around 1,000 and 600 houses, will now be known as 'Rahul Nagar' as the local residents have changed its name in memory of its native, who laid down his life while fighting terrorists during the 26/11 Mumbai attacks in 2008.
This is the first arrest under the Act which came into force in July 2017, replacing the 1982 vintage law, according to which an accused can face a maximum punishment of life imprisonment till death and his properties can be confiscated, police said.
Mumbai Crime Branch questioned Chennai Super Kings CEO Gurunath Meiyappan for several hours after his arrest on Friday night in IPL betting scandal, but he has been "evasive" and "non-cooperative" during interrogation, police said in Mumbai on Saturday.
Elaborate arrangements at the check points before one enters the actual venue have been put in place to check the baggage and identity of the general public and media entering the venue.
The Bombay High Court on Friday upheld a lower court's order discharging former Mumbai police commissioner Ram Deo Tyagi and eight others, but observed that the firing in Suleiman Bakery by the police during the 1993 Mumbai riots was 'cruel and atrocious'.Justice Mridula Bhatkar upheld the trial court's conclusion that Tyagi -- a joint commissioner at the time -- and eight other policemen had no intention to murder. Eight persons were killed and 12 injured in the firing.
Former Mumbai Police Commissioner Julio Ribeiro has dashed off a letter to the Maharashtra government expressing surprise over the appointment of four "tainted" senior Indian Police Service officers to key posts. The letter, addressed to Home Minister R R Patil, not only questions the appointment of Himanshu Roy, Ramrao Pawar, Deputy CPs Ajit Patil and Sanjay Banerjee.
Maharashtra CM said a high-level committee will probe the circumstances under which the 40-year-old overbridge collapsed.
Mumbai police has launched an initiative to raise awareness among the citizens about allowing swift plying of ambulances through traffic snarls so that they proceed to hospital without any hassles and patients promptly get medical aid.
Nine members of a family were among the deceased in the first incident which took place around 11.15 pm on Wednesday, when Mumbai experienced heavy rains throughout the day, at the New Collector Compound on Abdul Hamid Road in the Malwani area of suburban Malad, the officials said.
Ashish Raje, a photojournalist with a Mumbai tabloid, was allegedly pushed and assaulted by two police officials when he was walking to Mumbai Bagh in Nagpada area.
Following the clarification from Maria, Gaffoor sang a different tune, and said that what he had meant was that 16 persons were involved in the terror attacks. Nine of them were killed, one is in custody with us, two others have been arrested, and four handlers are based in Pakistan, he said
A video of the incident, which went viral on social media, garnered a sharp reaction from Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut, who tweeted saying immediate action must be taken against the woman, as it was the matter of Mumbai police's honour and tagged state Home Minister Anil Deshmukh in the post.
Tyagi, then a joint commissioner, had led a team into Suleman Bakery in south Mumbai on January 9, 1993 and killed nine suspected rioters holed up there.
Kasab's letter has been forwarded by the Mumbai police to the External Affairs and the Union Home Ministries for necessary action, Joint Commissioner of Police Rakesh Maria told media persons in Mumbai on Saturday.
The high court was hearing Purohit's application seeking that all charges against him in the case be dropped. Six people were killed and 100 others injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Malegaon city in Nashik district of Maharashtra on September 29, 2008.
Apparently irked by a report in Marathi daily Maharashtra Times which speculated that a sitting Shiv Sena MP was on his way to Nationalist Congress Party, alleged Sena workers today vandalised the reception area of Times of India building in Mumbai on Saturday.